Welcome to the Muslim Jewish Forum of Greater Manchester
Future events - see future events tab for full details
"Loose Lawyers" panel event - 23 May 2013
Pre-Ramadan meal - 30 June 2013
Interfaith Picnic - 7 July 2013
Why this Forum was created
Islam and Judaism are closer to each other than any other two religions. However many Muslims and Jews grow up in Britain knowing little about the other community. In 2004 a group of us decided that, even if we couldn’t change the world, we could do something to bring the two communities together locally, and set up the Muslim Jewish Forum of Greater Manchester.
Our mission is:
“To educate members of the Muslim and Jewish Communities in relation to their shared values and common Abrahamic tradition, heritage, history and culture; and to promote better understanding within the wider community of our common interests and values.”
There are two main reasons for doing this
- Muslims and Jews have many common interests which are better pursued if we act together. Some are listed below.
- Learning more about each other, and making new friendships, enriches us as individuals as well as making our city a better place.
Some common interests of Muslims and Jews
- The right to hold religious beliefs
- The right to manifest religious practices
- The retention of religious humane methods of animal slaughter for food in the United Kingdom
- Campaigning for faith schools
- The retention of male circumcision
- The right to have religious observances respected by public bodies and the wider community
- The provision of acceptable methods of post mortem examinations
Some of the things we have done
We engage in practical activities to increase mutual understanding which participants enjoy. These are often educational, but whatever we do needs to be enjoyable, as otherwise people won’t come! Some examples are:
- Visiting mosques and synagogues
- Holding celebrations for religious festivals like Eid and Chanukah
- Group visits to Krakow, Auschwitz, Granada and Cordoba.Several of us went on a study tour of Israel and the West Bank organised by the Forum for Discussion of Israel and Palestine
- Informal dinners, which allow time for unstructured conversation
- Talks on matters such as our respective approaches to finance, marriage and divorce, funeral arrangements etc
- Monthly faith dialogues in partnership with the Faith Network 4 Manchester
- Faith awareness sessions in schools and youth groups
- Bringing women together to celebrate International Women’s Day
Our annual accounts, give full details of the events organised in each year.
Becoming a member
We welcome new members. You can download a membership form from the "Join us" page.
(c) The Muslim Jewish Forum of Greater Manchester is a company limited by guarantee. Registered in England. Company No. 5480738. Registered Office: c/o Linder Myers Solicitors, Phoenix House, 45 Cross Street, Manchester, M2 4JF